Until now the oral lore of the inhabitants fromCubas has talked to us about its existence during the Arab domination (10th Century), being reconquered by Alfonso VI during his march to Toledo, and of its primitive name “Fuentes Claras”..
Thanks to the recent discovery of archaeological remains in the Camino of Santa Juana site, we can confirm that Cubas already existed in Roman Age, and there were even some materials belonging to Bronze Age found.
First data documented on Cubas that remains is signed by Alfonso VIII and dated in 1208. It refers to the segregation of land of Segovia in Madrid, which were Cubas and Griñón. In the 14thCentury,Cubaswill be succeededbetween their allegiance to Madrid and belonging to a noble estate. We know that in 1374 ToledanKnight Don Juan Ramírez de Guzmán loses his dominion over Cubasas his property was auctioned and purchased by the Madrid Council.
At the beginning of the 15th Century, Enrique III grants the status of Villa, but in 1445, Juan II gave the Villa to his relative Don Luis de la Cerda, who sold it two years later to Alfonso Álvarez de Toledo. The descendants of this new Lord kept constant lawsuits between the estate and the Madrid Council, so the Catholic Monarchs had to intervene.
In 1449, the apparitions of the Virgin Mary to the shepherd Inés took place. First, a chapel was built in the site and later a house for religious followers. This event gives fame to the village and attracts many visitors over the centuries to the present day.
Over the following centuries Cubas remains as an estate, passing into the hands of the Marquis ofPovar, married to the Marquise ofMalpica in the 17th Century. Also in this century, thanks to the donation of houses of Doctor Sepúlveda, the Capuchin’s Convent was founded.
During the 17th and 18th Century epidemics, wars and emigration significantly reduced the population. Political and administrative reforms that brought the arrival of the Bourbons did not help the rural population working in leased land from the lords and the church.
The abolition of the estates ordered in the Cortes of Cádiz in 1813 madeCubas a free municipality. In 1808 French troops had looted the village and their religious buildings. In this same 19th Century, with the confiscation of Mendizábal, the Capuchin’s Convent disappears and great part of the heritage of the Church went into auction. Especially the Madrid bourgeoisie acquired them.
In 1862, Queen Isabel II granted the Marquesado of Cubas, without any link to the village, to María Blanca Fernández de Córdoba, being the current Marquis of Cubas Carlos Falcó and Fernández Córdoba.
In the 20th Century Cubas continues being a village of peasants, but begins to get population of holidays and weekends. A delegation from the Royal Tapestry Factory is established in 1920 which will give work to youth until its closure in 1936. We know the poet Miguel Hernández spent time in Cubas in the Civil War as a fortifications sapper.
Another trace of this war are the two plaques that remain in the cemetery with the names of the Germans of the Legion Condor fallen in Cubas.
At the end of the Century, young population begins to be installed on the new developments of town houses.
Today, Cubas keeps its spirit of gentle people, whereby you can quietly stroll and greet leisurely neighbours.
Download the full History of Cubas clicking HERE. here